• Erin Gallivan

Mileage Reimbursement Benefits: How Workers Comp Can Pay for Your Travel to Doctors

Updated: Dec 8, 2019

After you’ve been approved to receive workers’ compensation in the State of Vermont, you can continue to receive support from the State in a variety of ways. These include temporary wage replacement, vocational rehabilitation support and payment of your medical bills. Another benefit that you are entitled to is mileage reimbursement for your trips to appointments.

Vermont workers’ compensation law allows claimants to be reimbursed for travel to medical appointments, independent medical examination (IME) appointments and vocational rehabilitation appointments. The reimbursement is provided based on the miles traveled to and from attend these appointments.

How is Mileage Reimbursement Calculated for Workers Comp?

The mileage rate is based on the US General Services Administration (GSA) rate, which as of January 1, 2018 was $0.545 per mile. (The rate changes yearly. The current rate can be found at the VT Dept of Labor.)

How Do I Receive Mileage Reimbursement as an Injured Worker?

To receive mileage reimbursement, an injured worker must submit a written request to the workers compensation insurance company. (Use this form.)

As an injured worker, you may be required to provide reasonable documentation for any reimbursement request. If the request is for medical treatment or an IME, additional documentation is not usually necessary because the insurance company should already have the record from the appointment. If it is for travel related to vocational rehabilitation benefits, like attending classes, you may be asked to submit attendance records.

TIP: If you didn’t track the drive on your odometer, you can use Google maps to determine the mileage distance.

When Will I Receive the Mileage Reimbursement for Workers’ Comp?

The insurance carrier must make the mileage reimbursement payment within 21 days of receiving a properly documented request. Make sure to keep a copy of any request submitted with the date it was submitted! If you don’t receive your mileage reimbursement payment within 21 days, you can contact the Department of Labor at 802-828-2286.

There is not specific time limit on requesting mileage reimbursement, but there are general statutes of limitation that apply to requests for workers compensation benefits. (If you don’t file your request within the applicable statute of limitations, you lose your right that that benefit). For purposes of mileage reimbursement, you have six years from the date the mileage was incurred to seek reimbursement for an accepted claim.

If you have any questions about receiving your mileage reimbursement benefits, please reach out. We are happy to help!

Email: gallivan@yourvtlawyer.com

Tel: 802.747.0610

#helpwithworkerscomp #medicalpayments #medicalbenefits #mileagebenefits #workerscompbenefits #healthinsurancebenefits #workerscompinvermont #vermontworkscomp #vermontworkerscomp


Need more help? 

Contact me for a free consultation 

Even if you are not sure you need or want a lawyer, feel free to contact me.


(802) 779-9771


Larson & Gallivan Law, PLC

128 Merchants Row, Suite 405

Rutland, VT 05701

  • Facebook - White Circle

Copyright 2019

Designed by ORAWeb